Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Panama - the Pacific Coast

Where Panama's Caribbean side was all about jackfish and snook (and some snapper here and there), the Pacifc side has been all about golden travally. I fished in the Boca Brava - Boca Chica area for a solid week after a solid week of surfing further to the south. Travally are fun - the ones I was targeting over a three day period we feeding about five feet from the shore of a small island during a falling tide. They would come in and turn there noses down to feed on crabs. This action would expose their flanks, caudal fin, dorsal fin and abdominal fin. The big boys feeding there - 25 to 30 inches - Is what I wanted obviously. In the end however, the biggest I was able to hook and land was around 20 inches. I was able to hook four and land two total. They are not the easiest saltwater fish to bring in by any means. The runs are impressive, but even more substantial is that they turn their body to increase tension during the fight. I would describe it like trying to pull a trash can lid out of four feet of water with a current against it. Some very impressive stuff.

My time here in Panama is coming to an end and I will be back in the Snake River area soon. Pray for a little more precipitation. But if we don't get it, get ready for what might be an incredible early season on the South Fork, Green, and Snake.

No comments:

Post a Comment